Friday, August 8, 2008

The Phyllo Experiment



This is the result of my experiment with phyllo. I've never worked with it before, and don't know if I want to again! I've always read that it's quite labor intensive, and that is an understatement. I was also ill-equipped and low on counter space, which made it really tough. I had no pastry brush (where did mine go?!?!) and no plastic wrap. I was able to piece together a decent set up to prevent drying out, but it was still quite the chore.

I made two fillings: one with Morningstar Chik'n Strips diced up into a blended mixture of spinach, canned artichoke hearts, squash and garlic. The other was a more simple filling of just vegan pesto and the Chik'n. I liked the artichoke filling better, but overall bother were rather "meh." I was going to incorporate vegan cream cheese but the container in my fridge was growing...something. I decided it was best to throw it away and make up a different filling.

Another shot:



Next time I'd like to try something more all in one dish, so I don't have the hard layering and folding, just layering in one baking dish. Something such as baklava or I was thinking maybe vegan cream cheese with medjool dates and nuts and shredded coconut? We'll see, I've still got another roll of phyllo in the freezer.

No comments: