Sunday, April 25, 2010
Vegetable & Bean Stew with Spicy Biscuits
I made this quick vegetable stew the other day. I also made biscuits, a variation of the recipe from the other day. I added some liquid from the stew as well as red pepper flakes to the mix to create a spicy version. Another make it up as I go, so not an "official" recipe, but here's roughly what I did.
1 28oz can of Fire Roasted tomatoes
1 15(I think)oz can of dark red kidney beans
1 15(I think)oz can of white kidney beans (cannellini)
1 8oz can spicy Ro-Tel [diced tomatoes with habaneros)
1/2 a large onion, med. dice
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
veg stock or bouillon cube
1tsp oil (for sauteing onion & garlic)
1. in stock pot, saute onion in oil until soft, add garlic and spices to taste
2. add drained and rinsed beans and can of tomatoes
3. add Ro-Tel, stir everything
4. add water. I basically filled the big tomato can with water and dumped it in and added a little more
5. bring to boil, add some frozen corn and or vegetables of choice. Sweet corn really works with these flavors but I'm sure many others would work.
6. bring down to simmer. If you feel like it, add vegetable stock or bouillon cube for flavor.
Done! The flavors of both the stew and biscuits are even better the second day. This lasted for most of the week for both me and Mr. Coconut's lunch.