Sunday, October 14, 2012

Tomatillo Salsa + Refried Bean Dip [Vegan Mofo]



Day 14 of Vegan Month of Food! So far, so good. I have missed one day posting this month so far, and we are nearly halfway through the month. I do not have a set goal in mind, just to do as much as I possibly can.

I have almost reached Day 7 of my green theme and will recap with one more post of green food tomorrow. Today, I present my first tomatillo salsa attempt! I made this in the past week or so with tomatillos from the CSA. I didn't get as nice of a roasty taste to the tomatillos, but I would really like to try this again with a ton more tomatillos. I served this with a refried bean dip that I quickly whipped up.

For the salsa: I sliced tomatillos in half after removing the wrappers and rinsing. I placed on a cookie sheet lined with foil and roasted for 10-15 mins in the oven. Because I had so few tomatillos I was worried and took them out early because their juices were all over the pan and I wanted to be sure to have enough to make salsa. I blended the tomatillos with 2 garlic cloves, 1/4 of a small onion, and some spicy chili peppers.

For the bean dip: I heated up 1 can of black refried beans in a small sauce pan, adding garlic, cumin, salt, and chili peppers. That was it. Cheap and easy. I was feeling lazy. The dip was ok, it could have been better with more effort.

No comments: