Friday, February 18, 2011

Broccoli & Cauliflower with Baked Tofu in Curry Sauce



This was dinner earlier tonight.

Ingredients (roughly):
119g onion, small-fine dice
156g tofu (this was one 12oz package, weighed after baking)
1.5T curry powder
.75c frozen peas
1 package (16oz) of frozen broccoli and cauliflower
(comes to about 225g of broccoli, 225g cauliflower)
.13c ginger, minced
14g garlic, sliced thinly
1can (14oz) coconut milk
1/4can veggie broth
1T olive oil

Serve with:
Brown Rice or plain or noodles

1. I started this whole endeavor by cubing the tofu and setting onto a foiled and oiled pan. I used my toaster oven. Set at 350 degrees F, bake for 20 mins. Flip, then bake another 20 mins. I flipped one last time and baked another 20 mins, and it came to the perfect consistency (in my opinion)

2. Near the end of the second 20 minute baking of the tofu, I started dicing my onion and slicing my garlic. [This is where the ginger should be minced, but I forgot all about it until much later on.] I heated up a pan on the stove and poured about one tablespoon of olive oil. Check the tofu and flip and bake again as needed.

3. Put the onion in the pan, saute for a bit until onion is soft. Add garlic. [again, this is ideally where the ginger would be added, but I added it later because I forgot about it for a while.]

4. Add baked tofu cubes, saute in pan. Add curry powder, mix everything together well, then add some veggie broth to help the curry really get into the ingredients.

5. Add broccoli and cauliflower, adding veggie broth as needed to help cook the frozen vegetables.

6. Add coconut milk, stirring everything together. Add frozen peas.

7. Simmer until everything is cooked to your liking. Serve over brown rice.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really want to make this, but could you please post the measurements in grams/ounces or teaspoons, etc? I want to make it right but am not sure what .13c and other ones mean. Thank you :)

The Saucy Coconut said...

Sorry to take so long to respond - I'll post some of this info in the post itself, too.

.13c is 1/8th of a cup. .75c is 3/4cup. I try to use decimals as much as possible - it's a habit. I o my best to try and do as much universal measurements as possible (grams rather than cups, etc.) but I am sometimes lazy in converting.

The Saucy Coconut said...

most of my abbreviations come from standard cooking abbreviations: small c = cup; 'T' = Tablespoon; 't' = teaspoon...

Anonymous said...

No that's great! Thank you for responding.