Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Ginger-Orange Baked Tofu with Garlic Greens and Squash



This was one of the best dishes EVER.

Total credit for the marinade to The Post Punk Kitchen, though I did tweak it a bit.

* note: since The Post Punk Kitchen changed layouts, all the old recipes are not available (yet). I'll update the link when the changes occur.

(My Changes are in Bold)

Equipment:
9 x 13 baking dish
bowl

Ingredients
1 pound extra firm tofu, drained and pressed

Marinade
2 tablespoons grated ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
1/4 cup orange juice (fresh is preferred, you can use the juice of the orange that you zest)
1/4 cup dry white wine I Used Champagne Instead
1/4 cup pure maple syrup I Used Agave Nectar Instead
4 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons veg oil


Directions
Preheat oven to 375 F.

Combine all ingredient for the marinade in a small bowl and wisk vigorously.

Cut the tofu into 8 slice crosswise. Pour 1/2 marinade into the baking dish and dredge tofu slices. Pour the other half of marinade over the tofu. Let sit 10 minutes.

Cover baking dish with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from over and flip pieces over. Cook 15 more minutes uncovered. To give the tofu more chewiness, place in the broiler for 2 minutes on each side.
My baking was a bit screwy because I used a ceramic cooking pan, so it took a little longer. I ended up baking until the marinade was very thick and became more of a glaze.

For the Greens:
I cleaned a lot of collards, then chopped them up to smaller bite size. (Take out the hard center part.)

I crushed 2-3 cloves of garlic and 2-3 shakes of red pepper flakes in a pan with 1T of olive oil, then put the greens in until just wilted.

For the Squash:

I had a nice winter squash, which I sliced in half, then spooned out the seeds. I placed both halves face down in a glass casserole pan which I put some water in (1/2 inch?) and covered the top with foil. I baked for 20 minutes until tender, scraped out the flesh and served with vegan butter.

Ok, this was AWESOME. The sweetness of the squash and the tofu balanced really well with the bitter garlicky greens. Awesome. Tasty as hell.

Photo 2:

No comments: