Sunday, March 8, 2009

Easy Echilada Bake



This was an extremely simple, lazy enchilada bake. I am excited to try this again with even more ambition and ingredients.

Here is a cross-section shot:



Now on to how I made this dish.

First, I layered 6 frozen corn tortillas on the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. Then, I dumped one smallish can of black beans and seasoned with cumin and chili powder. Then I spread out one can of refried black beans on top of the black beans. I placed another layer of 6 corn tortillas on top of that. I put *another* layer of black beans, these seasoned with lime juice. I dumped out a cup and a half or so of dry TVP, a small can of spicy diced tomatoes, and a small can of red spicy enchilada sauce. Then I put the last layer of 6 more corn tortillas, topped with another small can of spicy red enchilada sauce.

I placed this whole pan into a 365 degree F oven, baked for 30-40 minutes or until I thought it was heated and cooked all the way through and a bit crispy on top.

I sliced it up like I would a lasagna, served on plates with taco sauce and hot sauce.

I thought this was great, as did all who had a serving. Really beany, but we're all fans of beans.

For next time: I would definitely add corn, but I did not have any available this time. Maybe fresh slices of tomatoes would be interesting, or tomatillos. Awesome salsa would be a great bonus as well. It would not be necessary, but as an extra, I might think about adding shredded "cheeze" of some sort or making my own nacho sauce.
Zucchini and other veggies would be a nice addition as well.

No comments: