Monday, August 27, 2007
Curried Broccoli with Carrots, Sweet Potato, and Quinoa
I usually make this with cauliflower and will again in the future. Not that this dish is bad with broccoli, but I think cauliflower works much better.
What You Need:
1c cooked quinoa
300g sweet potato, cubed
200g carrots, baby, sliced in half lengthwise
80g onion, large dice
2t curry powder
2t ginger paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
For The Quinoa:
I made extra, because it's always useful for any number of dishes. The directions are simple: one cup quinoa, two cups water. I add some salt for flavor, you could also cook in broth of some sort for flavor. Bring to boil on stovetop, bring down to simmer, COVER! DO NOT TOUCH for 15-20 minutes!!!!!! Seriously. It'll be done.
The Rest of the Dish:
(Apologies, I made this a couple weeks ago and my notes are missing the cooking times.)
1. Lightly steam carrots, until just barely tender.
2. While the carrots are steaming, sautée onions (I just use a little spray oil so the fat content is extremely low in this dish) and cubed potatoes until the potatoes get tender and can almost slide a fork through.
3. Add carrots to the pan, mix thoroughly.
4. Add broccoli, ginger, garlic, curry powder. Add a little bit of liquid (water, .25-.5c) and stir everything together. Cover until the liquid is nearly gone. This helps to steam everything a little. Stir, Stir, Stir until everything is mixed together and evenly distributed.
5. Plate up. 1/2c of quinoa and about half of the veggie mixture per serving.
The calories for each serving (NOT including Quinoa) is HERE. The 1/2c quinoa info is HERE.