Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Juicy Lucy: Vegan Style



This is my vegan version of a Juicy Lucy, which is a legendary burger around Minneapolis. I've never had a "real" Juicy Lucy, but have had it described in detail and read about it a lot.

I used a Vegan Boca Burger, sliced in half horizontally to create two skinny patties, and I then inserted one slice of Vegan Rice Cheddar Cheese by Galaxy Foods. (I haven't been able to find the American flavor or the Pepper Jack flavor, but I want to. I like this "cheese" quite a bit because unlike Tofutti slices, this stuff is trans fat free!)

I ate the whole concoction on one piece of bread, and folded it all in half to have a weird double cheeseburger juicy lucy type of thing. It was tasty, but I believe that there wasn't enough fat in the burger to achieve true "juiciness".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

also the "meat" has to entirely encompass the cheese so none escapes, which is obviously tough to do when your using a pre-made patty. then when you cut or bite into it the cheese oozes out and scalds your tongue. :P

i bet you could use the same mixture used to make vegan meatloafs and just make patties that way and insert the cheese inside.

-kari

The Saucy Coconut said...

HI KARI!!!!

Yeah, that is a good idea. I'm working to concoct a brilliant homemade veggie burger...but perhaps before black bean burgers I should work on a meatloaf style thing. I used to make a pretty kick ass meatloaf, so I bet I could make up a vegan one fairly well....

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

i have not, until just know, heard of a juicy lucy. interesting.
my hubby would love the vegan version you've made.

Coach Marko said...

Awesome creation-- someone was just asking me recently if there was a vegetarian version of the Jucy Lucy (note: no "i" in Jucy, according to hardcores), and I said no. Even better that you've come up with a vegan version.

So now I can say, "Yes, we DO have a Jucy Lucy, except that it's good for you, and not gut-bombingly greasy, nanner nanner!"