Sunday, August 26, 2007

Manicotti Stuffed with Pesto Tofu-Ricotta



So, I made this a few weeks ago, but it's taken me a while to get around to posting it.

Really, really tasty. It's also quite simple to make, the pesto is probably the most complicated part of the meal. Well, I usually make a sauce from scratch and that takes a while, but I cheated this time and simply added some onion, garlic and spices to good old Newman's Cabernet Marinara.

Basically, make a pesto, blend it with some extra firm tofu that has been drained and crumbled. Boil manicotti or shells or other stuffable pasta, stuff with petso-tofu mixture, set in 9x13 baking pan, cover with sauce, and bake until bubbly. If we had some soy cheese, it would be done when the soy cheese was melty, possibly browning.

I'll put some more pictures up on this post later. Until then, here's the recipe:

Pesto:
110g basil leaves, fresh, no stems
110g pine nuts
3T Olive Oil
2 cloves garlic
salt to taste

--> Blend until a thick paste. May need more or less olive oil or garlic. This amount was just right for 1lb (or one of those water packed containers) of tofu.

Sauce:
1.25 jars of Newman's Own Cabernet Marinara (I'll check the oz later)
60g onion, small dice
3 Cloves garlic, smashed and minced
2T olive oil
2-3 "turns around the pan" of balsamic vinegar (I have a pourer spout on my balsamic, and if you ever watch Rachel Ray, she often uses this measurement. I just mean that I pour in large circles in the pan...make sense? No? I'll clarify when I edit later.)
good shakes of (to taste):
red pepper flakes
poultry seasoning
oregano
garlic salt
kosher salt
pepper

---> start with sauteeing the onion in the olive oil. add garlic, and pour in sauce. Add balsamic, stir. Add seasonings. Let cook for a while (15-20 mins? less? I need to find my cooking notes.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that looks sooooo amazing

The Saucy Coconut said...

thanks! It is easily one of my all time favorite things to make for both myself and omnivores who don't think that vegan food is tasty. The pesto "ricotta" is easily used in lasagna, stuffed shells, and other pasta dishes.